Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Who Are These People????

OK I am normally a very patient person and would certainly not try to be rude or short with a stranger. But Today Lillian and I are at the mall to stretch our legs a bit. And as I'm sure any transracial family could tell you there are some questions people can ask that are truly None of their business. As an older women approached me she says Where did you adopt her from? OK I'll say Vietnam and ususally thats the end of it, but this woman knew no boundaries. So how much did you buy her for? I answer She's priceless. Now I'm gathering up my daughter and trying to leave as she's following me? Here's the next one out of her mouth. I guess you can't have your own kids, How sad. Now I'm use to all these above questions surely but I don't think i've had them fired at me from the same person in rapid succession. Then the clinker as I'm tossing my daughter in the stroller as fast as I can muster almost leaving my coat behind. " I can't believe a mother could just leave her child like that? So that's when I cordially answered "These women are heroes to me, Lilly's mom knew she would not be alive long and had to make an ultimate sacrifice to assure her child would live, Really most American's have no idea how good they have it and must say these things to feel better about themselves. Arghhhh.
I would never want to be openly rude to people, first it isn't part of my nature and God forbid they may have questions because they are considering adoption or sponsorship of an orphan. But I think after a sentece of 2 you can figure them out. Right now Lilly really hasn't caught on or cared about these questions but the day is soon comming and it will be a little sooner for Abel so I must prepare myself. I have thought about firing back with the How much you pay for her question with " How much did you pay for your house? " That will fit my sarcastic humourous side. HAHA

1 comment:

Laura said...

You have got to be kidding me!!!

Well, listen to this...we actually had someone ask how much it cost to have Brighton buried in Ethiopia...and it was a family member!!!!

Like you said, WHO are these people??!!